This is such a lovely dish I just had to share it with you. It can be made with lots of different left over veggies - spinach or kale, mushrooms, broccoli or leeks - just don't let the mixture be too watery. You can use any leftover cheese and the eggs are a fantastic source of protein The sesame seeds give additional texture, healthy fats and are an added source iron,. Great for packed lunches, picnics or a snack this is a lovely and delicious warm or cold. Enjoy.
1 large courgette
1 small onion, 1 small leek or 4 spring onions, finely chopped
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 a pack of feta cheese - about 100g
50g halloumi - grated
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 handful of parsley, chopped
1 small handful of mint
1 tbsp of plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sesame seeds, plus more for dusting over the top
2 tbsps of olive oil, plus more for oiling the tray
Heat your oven to 180 degrees and find a cake tin or small baling tray (about 20 cms sq-ish)
1. Grate the courgette into a clean T towel and then squeeze the T towel tightly and squeeze out the excess water over a sink. There's more than you think!
2. Place in a large bowl and then add the beaten eggs and onion, leek or spring onions (whatever you're using).
3. Add the garlic..
4. Then crumble in the feta and halloumi cheese, then add the herbs
5. Add the flour and baking powder and stir to combine
6. Add the sesame seeds and enough olive oil to give the mixture a soft but firm texture
7. Season very well with salt and pepper and taste a little..
8. Use olive oil to coat the bottom of the cake tin and place in the oven to heat up
9. When it's quite hot, very carefully remove it from the oven and then start to spoon in the courgette/cheese/herb mixture. Sprinkle another tablespoon of sesame seeds over the top
10. Gently place the cake tin back in oven and cook for about 30 mins, or until the top is a light golden brown
11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes - then turn it out onto a plate and serve.
I hope you think this is delicious! It seems to be perfect for so many things. Enjoy xxx